Monday 19 July 2010

Hamster Hair Loss

I knew Hannah was aging and getting to where this was a natural instance for her species; however, I could not tell my mom to prepare for a tiny hamster funeral. I focused on the deficiencies and found that most pet stores sell a water-soluble vitamin supplement for hamsters. You dissolve a pill in the hamster's water supply, and the hamster ingests it without even knowing.

I decided it was time for a web search. Tiny Hannah needed some help, and I didn't require to pay a vet to tell me he was getting elderly. I researched 'hamster hair loss' and found that it is a moderately common issue, in older hamsters. The search told me that the most common reasons were age, protein deficiency, vitamin deficiency, hair getting caught in the hamster-wheel, mites, and allergic reactions to the bedding. It also let me know how to check her for mites. Mites cause a red or black pattern of bumps on the skin and they normally nest in the hamster's hair and bedding. I checked her and realized that her skin was clear, smooth, and free from tiny insects.

After a couple of weeks, Mom reported that Hannah had regained a new love for life and was even making her wheel "go squeaky, squeaky in the midst of the night." He mentioned that the hair had not began to grow back but had stopped falling out. He also noted that Hannah appeared to like her new supplemented water and he had to refill her tiny dispenser more often.

I called my mom and let her know what my research had concluded and he said that he had found fundamentally the same thing in her own search. He said he was going to get a supplement and see how Hannah responded.

Before, whenever I had browsed the pet store the animal multivitamins struck me as silliness for profit: a plan to play off our love for our pets to line the company's pockets. Now that I have seen it in action, I recognize how close they are to our tiny animal neighbors in how our bodies require the substance of healthiness. In animals and in humans, our food comes pre-processed and our exercise is limited by our lifestyle. As people, our doctors, magazines, TV programs on healthy living and even our mothers tell us to take our every day multivitamin to keep us young, fit, and healthy because our food basically does not satisfy the nutritional needs of our bodies. As hamsters, they only have the attention of their owners to see to it that they get what their tiny bodies require to survive - and there are not any TV commercials on the benefits of hamster vitamins. Now the victim of a successful experiment, it seems that Hannah now has a greater appreciation for her nutritional supplement as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment