Saturday 12 June 2010

Life With Rat Terriers

Rat terriers are definitely a loud dog. My son, who owns Goldens, is temporarily keeping my male rat terrier while I am going through a move. They LOVES the fact that Bingo sets up an obnoxious and noisy barking at the least sign of any intruder whether it be human or animal....and yes indeed they do definitely let you know when there is an "invader" in their territory.

I originally got a "rat terrier" because I had heard that they were "varmint dogs" and fundamentally I was one time sick of the tiny footed "varmints" who appear to frequent my kitchen every winter. Think it or not, I truly have not had a mouse in the house since the day I brought home the rat terriers. They may be there but somehow they don't have the bravado to run across the floor any more while I am speaking on the phone or sitting at the computer. The also get "varmints" in the yard, from squirrels to grinnies to dead birds.

Bingo buries his grinnies and jealously digs them up and re-buries them somewhere else in case you are watching him. They watches out of the corner of his eye and in case you see where they buries it they will look at you suspiciously and dig it back up and run around the corner of the house and find another spot!
They get along famously with my Newfoundland. Except the male, they
gets all fired up when a new dog comes on the scene and they has to show his superiority, by reaching out and "nailing" the large dog in the face as they sits on the arm of the chair where I am sitting. They shows his jealousy to the new dog in this manner. I always hold his mouth shut and tell him NO but they still tries it for several weeks until the new dog has settled in and become a member of the relatives.

One time the new dog, be it elderly or young, is accepted in to Bingo's life then they plays endlessly with them, chewing on their legs and playing hide and seek..the rat terriers together can literally make the newfs dizzy, racing back and forth and around the house at top speed and barking at each other all the while. The Newfs love this entertainment..I admit it, so do I!
Rat terriers are not for everyone. But in case you dont like felines, and
you have mice, you may require to give it a try! You get much more interest added in to your life than a cat would give you

No comments:

Post a Comment