Friday 6 August 2010

Broken Legs is Serious for Italian Greyhounds

For those not familiar with IG's, they are about ¼ scale of the famous racetrack breed. In their finest form they look half-starved, although it may look cruel to most pet owners, that is when they are the most active and truly happiest. A pound or slows them down tremendously and even becomes risky.

They are fearless leapers. No matter how plenty of times I attempt to describe to them Newton's Laws of Gravity, it does no nice. Heart-stopping tales abound over the net chat rooms about their Superman like tendencies. The additional weight increases the risk of broken bones.

But over anything, those long narrow legs were meant for speed. Regrettably, they can run faster than they can think. IG's become single focused when walking. Two times I have very had a heart assault as they ran full speed in to each other from opposite directions, tumbling like out of control race cars. Chasing after another, they'd scrape the trees so close that bark literally flew off and misjudging turns, wiping-out in to brick walls and other immoveable objects was a common occurrence.

They are also tremendous jumpers. In her hey-day Dixie could jump straight up over 6 feet high to grab a snack. At will he could jump flat-footed on to the dining room table, landing as soft as a butterfly with sore feet.

Well, day the inevitable finally happened, Dixie went in to a door facing and snapped her left leg. The break was neat through. Her tiny paw dangling 90 degrees from below her knee told me everything I didn't require to know.

I did the best I could to immobilize it as my spouse called the vet. As soon as they got there they took her back for x-rays. He was obviously in plenty of pain but had quit yelping after I first picked her up. In fact, he was the calmest of any of us.

My spouse was crying because of the dog. I was crying because of the bill. If I would've known how much it was going to cost in the lobby I would have cried a lot harder. This was going to be a giant payday for the vet.

The choices were simple, they could try a cast, but it would probably not set right because of the very tiny, toothpick-thin fibula. The vet recommended a titanium plate and screws.

The next morning they put in the custom made plate and screws. It was tricky because the screws had to be giant to hold things together, but tiny not to interrupt blood flow.

The surgical procedure alone would run $1,000. The total bill would actually finish up over $1,800. I could have bought three Dixies and a lifetime supply of dog food for that much. My spouse got mad because he didn't like my sense of humor, but I wasn't joking. I do know the power of the purse, and I have no purpose of getting hit by hers again so I relented.

More painful (in the event you can think that) than the vet bill, was the care and attention Dixie would require for the next three to four months. For the next months he would must be kept in a crate at all times.

No comments:

Post a Comment